Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Midsummer Night's Dream

I am sure that anyone reading this blog as either read, seen an adaption, or at least heard of Shakespeare's play. For my freshman seminar class I had to go to a cultural event and one of the options was A Midsummer Night's Dream put on by Carnegie Mellon Drama School and it was AWESOME! They took the tale and though they didn't move the location or change any of the script made it a modern day telling. It is hard to explain if you didn't see it but let me tell you that an Ipad and a segway were used during the production.

I wonder if someone had an Ipad and a segway or if they budgeted for it? How exactly would you explain that one to the person who looks over the accounts. "Yes we need these two items for our production of A Midsummer Night's Dream. Yes I mean the segway, Puck is going to use it" I wonder how long it took them to convince the people upstairs about that one. 

All the characters were very well cast and so many little things were thrown in here and there that it wasn't the same old retelling of the play. I really enjoyed everything, except I wasn't really a fan of Titania's outfit. It was very pretty, but wasn't exactly what I would but the Queen of the Fairies in. Especially when Oberon was wearing this totally BA red floor length jacket the plain white dress really wasn't doing it for me.
I also give them a huge round of applause for actually having a pool of water on stage. I don't know how they did it or what it took to get it there, but it added so much to the play. Also the lifts that were used for the fairies to get on and off stage were also amazing. Way to go stage crew you guys were AWESOME! I also loved how the actors used the whole auditorium and not just the stage so you felt as if you were part of the performance.

Overall it was an awesome performance and I wish all the actors the best of luck as they move forward with their careers whatever they may be ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment