Sunday, November 7, 2010

Shining Inheritance!

So I am a big fan of Asian Dramas and I just finished my second full series Shining Inheritance. Let me just say that after the first episode I was hooked and even though classes and work made me take a long time to finish the series it was completely worth it. I know that a lot of people don't like watching foreign movies or shows because they have to read the sub titles and I understand that. I also think that just because something is in a different language does not mean it can't still be funny and pull at your heart strings. This drama made me laugh, cry, be angry, and just about everything in between. It gets five stars! If you want to watch on your own and don't want me to spoil it for you, stop reading now and go watch it on Dramafever :)
I loved the lead characters so much and I found the acting to be very good. You felt for Eun Sung so much and couldn't help but love her. She made you love her from the first episode and the love she had for her brother Eun Woo. True at parts I wanted her to smack her step mother and step sister, but the fact that she didn't shows just how strong she was. And at the end when she does finally hit Seung Mi I wanted it to be her mother, but it was great all the same. At the beginning of the series I was a little worried that she would just be sitting around crying all the time, but I soon saw that she would not be held down for long. She reminded me a lot of the lead character from Boys Before Flowers Jan Di. If you haven't seen Boy Before Flowers go watch it now! That gets like 300 stars and I will be making a lot of comparisons between the two :)
Both the male roles Hwan (left) and Joon (right) were also very well portrayed so that you fell in love with them both. They are also very attractive :) Now because I watched and loves Boys Before Flowers I was a little harder on the males to begin with, but again as the series progress I grew to love them. Though both series lead, Hwan and Jun Pyo, are almost the same character I found Hwan to be a lot more likable a lot earlier in the series, but Jun Pyo pulled at your heart strings more because he did love Jan Di so  much, but something always happened to complicate the relationship. Hwan was a bit more realistic as a person who you would find in real life and though the storyline was a bit far fetched you completely forget about that. Joon was so sweet that I instantly fell in love with him and even though I knew he wouldn't get to be with Eun Sung in the end I found myself at times rooting for him. Also the fact that he wasn't just the "other guy" but also had a sub-story line of his own made him even more lovable. He was the perfect guy that any girl would want to date and in real life any girl with half a brain or heart would have gone for him instead of Hwan, but that is the beauty of drama. Everything turns out for the best just like a fairytale.

This series has a Cinderella story plot line and the wicked stepmother is about as horrible as you can get. It is remarkable just how evil she is and what she makes her daughter so as well. Now she does get punished in the end, but I don't think it was nearly as severe as it should have been. In the last episode however you get the idea that she is suffering while Seung Mi was happy teaching and being with her mom.

If we are talking about Cinderella stories then Hwan's grandmother is the fairy godmother. She is so sweet and helps Eun Sung so much, but she isn't so perfect that she is unrealistic. She really wants Eun Sung to take over the company and is upset when she doesn't. She is also so tricky that at times you don't know whether she is helping or not. Also the fact that she has Alzheimer's makes her even more human. Also the fact that she doesn't realize Hwan loves Eun Sung until the end makes everything more believable.

Overall it was an excellent series and I highly recommend it. I gave away a few things, but still there are so many twists and turns that even if I described the whole series you would still be surprised at parts. It had the right mix of romance, humor, and down right depressing points. I could go on and on about how all the characters were lovable, but it is better if you just go watch it yourself. I promise that you won't be disappointed.


No comments:

Post a Comment